Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Zucchini Squash

I started my own little garden in early spring. I planted four squash plants. Lucky for me, only two of them survived being transplanted. I say lucky for us, because now the plants are producing big fat zucchini. And the people in this house do not like zucchini.

I manage to peel it and grate it and add it to chicken tikka. Or else I make zucchini bread, which is great, but I end up eating half of it. I found a curried zucchini soup online, which I plan to make, but Steve is already horrified. The thing is, each of these things uses a fraction of a large zucchini.

On top of the zucchini produced in our yard, we are getting small zucchini and squash from the CSA. Each week, along with tomatoes and basil and broccoli, we get more of what we already have.

So... ideas welcome, folks. I'm very close to just baking zucchini bread until the zucchini is gone, and freezing the loaves. I hate freezing bread, because toasting it is a bother, but I can't think of any other way...

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

OK, remember, you asked for it! I just emailed you 6 different zucchini recipes -- bon chance et bon appetit!

Jean said...

I made this a few times this summer. Everyone liked it. The lemon zest really makes it fresh. The only thing I did differently is use more of the mixture with the 12 oz of spaghetti. This shouldn't be a problem with all your zucchini! You'll have to cut your huge zucchini down to small slices.

Spaghetti with Roasted Zucchini
12 oz spaghetti
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 1/2-in.-thick slices fresh bread, torn into 1-in. pieces
2 cloves garlic, smashed
4 small zucchini (about 1 lb total), sliced 1/4 in. thick
1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
Kosher salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 oz)
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest

Heat oven to 425°F. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Toss the pasta with 1 Tbsp of the oil.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the bread and garlic until the bread forms coarse crumbs and the garlic is chopped.
In a large bowl, toss the zucchini, red pepper, remaining 2 Tbsp oil and ½ tsp salt. Add the Parmesan and bread crumb mixture and toss to combine. Spread the zucchini mixture on 2 rimmed baking sheets and roast until the zucchini is tender and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Toss the pasta with the zucchini mixture, parsley and lemon zest.

Debs said...

I so heard of a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake the other day. Didn't get the recipe, but you could prob find one online? Surely the boys wouldn't object to that, and you could prob sneak some other healthy stuff in under the chocolate mask!?