Monday, February 06, 2006


Nathan has a cold.

It's hard because he is so little. Not only does he not understand why he feels so icky, but I can't give him anything for it. He's too tiny. The best I can do is to try to keep his head elevated, which means sleeping in his car seat or on my chest as I sleep sitting up. I am also constantly attacking him with THE ASPIRATOR.

In case you don't know, THE ASPIRATOR is what they use to clean out baby nasal passages. It's also referred to as "The Bulby Thingy." I Hate using THE ASPIRATOR because I'm convinced that I'm going to somehow suction out part of my baby's brain. This morning, after cleaning THE ASPIRATOR, I thought I actually HAD. I mean, how can one little baby have so much snot in him? There just HAD to be brain in there.

Needless to say, Nathan cries each time I use the horrible bulby thing because, let's face it, it's not pleasant. But he's just not at the stage where I can just hold up a tissue and say "Blow." In fact, I still can't do that for Nicholas. But I have far more faith in Nicholas's ability to breathe through him mouth.

The best part is that now I have this cold. Now that Nicholas is playing in his room instead of napping, and Nathan can't sleep unless I'm holding him, I need my rest more than ever. But I am getting far less than I would if Nick would SLEEP in his bed (he did yesterday - today... not so much) and if Nathan would stop that wet snorting breathing sound...

Wish us all healthy!

4 comments:

Debs said...

Oh poor thing. I wish you all better soon. Try reminding Nicholas how exciting it is to sleep in a big bed...!

Debs said...

My sister used her knowledge of blogging and all that to comment on my latest post about how to make links, which might help you. (all looks a bit scary, but I think I got what she meant so it might help!) All the best with that, and hope you're all doing better :-)

Debs said...

Actually I've just added some more to my blog, but it's in the comments responding to where you left a message. Hope that makes sense!

Anonymous said...

Oooo, you poor things! I do wish you all well, but I am afraid you did suck Nate's teeny-tiny brain clean to of his head with the bulby thingy! Go check the tissues in the trash. Maybe you can shoot it back up there with the reverse bulby thingy!