Friday, February 24, 2006


Nathan officially has his days and nights mixed up.

He wakes up only twice a night, and stays awake for hours each time. I will begin the night with a resolve to be patient, but gradually, as I watch the clock get closer to the time when I have to wake up, I turn to panic and despair. "Go to sleep! " I command the baby. Be he does not listen. I try reasoning with him, and explaining that the night time is SO much more boring than that daytime, which is SO GREAT! But he doesn't listen.

He will drift into a deep sleep at around 5:30am, just when daylight begins to break. Nick wakes up about 30 minutes later, and the day has begun.

For everyone but Nathan.

Nathan then falls asleep and pretty much sleeps for the rest of the morning. If he wakes up to be fed, he goes right back to sleep. He sleeps through trips to the store, games of hide and seek, and Nicky jumping up and down to The Wiggles. He stays asleep until about 10 minutes before Nick's naptime.

I used to be able to sleep during Nick's naptime. Now I am faced with a decision. Do I try to get Nate to sleep - AGAIN - so that I can nap myself? Or should I rejoice that he is awake and try to keep him awake as long as I can so that he'll know the daytime is SO GREAT and he really should be awake for as much of it as possible so that he will sleep at night.

I suppose it doesn't matter, since he usually stays awake until about 10 minutes before Nick wakes up.

It isn't always like this, but it has been for the last couple of days. I'm hoping tonight will be different - I'm allowed to hope. And tomorrow is Steve's day to wake up with the boys. Don't think I don't wait all week for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cha ap gee Emo! Cha iss iss osh. At dada dye-dye. No nana. No guk. No fweep nye-nye. Fweep day, fweep day!!