Sunday, February 19, 2006



Nathan has thrush.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines
thrush as "any of numerous small or medium-sized songbirds that are mostly of plain color often with spotten underparts." Before you wander off thinking that Nathan is some sort of genius infant ornithologist, let me assure you this is not the kind of thrush I am speaking about. No, the thrush I'm speaking about is actually a yeast infection which infects the mouth, throat, and tongue. Oh yes. Nothing but fun with this one.

I noticed the other day that Nathan had little white spots on the back of his toungue. "Big Deal," I thought. "The only time he opens his mouth he's either spitting up or I'm shoving milk in." But a few days later I noticed the white spots were still there. I reached in with my finger, ignoring Nate's objections, and tried scraping one off. But it didn't work.

Finally I called the doctor - on a Saturday morning, of course - and the nurse perscribed a medication for me. I thought the trip to the drugstore would be speedy, but it took forever - mostly because I forgot the drugstore wouldn't have my 5 week old on file there already. WHen they called my name I stepped up and the pharmacist very loudly, as though explaining to a classroom of students, explained how I should apply the medication to the inside of each cheek. "One ML only" he said two or three times. And also "Make sure your hands are clean!"

I appreciated the fact that he wanted to make sure Nate was correctly medicated, butthe way he kept reminding me to wash made me feel less than hygenic. I wanted to rush home and hop in the shower. Of course, my hair was still in the braids I had slept in, my glasses were spotty with fingerprints, and I was wearing a huge sweatshirt, but hey - it was a Saturday morning! I was tired! And it's not like I had tar under my fingernails. I was unkempt, but CLEAN!

Anyhow, I just want you all to know that I have gotten over that hump of being sad and sorry for myself - honestly, who has the time? Especially now that I need to find time to rub sticky goo on the insides of my baby's mouth four times a day! Thanks for the support, it really helped. And now that I found my sense of humor again (it was in the dryer with the sheets) I am now ready to go. To my mother in law's. For lunch.


2 comments:

Debs said...

Poor little thing. I hope he gets better soon. Enjoy your lunch with your mother-in-law.
love Debs :-)

Anonymous said...

See, there's a bright side to everything -- lunch with Lillian! Enjoy!

And to you, Nate: Get better soon!