Monday, February 13, 2006


The thing about this big boy bed is that Nick can get in and out of it whenever he wants. In fact, he spends hours during the day doing just that - climb in, climb out, climb in, climb out...

When I put him down for a nap, there are days he is out of the bed before I am out of the room, and I am unsure of what to do about it. Some days I wrestle him back in. Others I pretend not to notice and go tend to Nate.

Today I heard him climb out and I ignored it while I tried to sleep myself. I had already put away his toys, put his favorite books on a high shelf, and turned off all the lights. Finally, after 45 minutes, I went back in, hoping he had passed out on the floor, or even on the bed. No such luck. Instead he had empties ALL the drawers he could reach and dumped the baskets of clean diapers on the floor. Oh, and the trash can, which had dirty diapers in it.

I caved and put him back in the crib until he fell asleep. I know I should just let things run their course, but I am so afraid that he won't nap at all. The one time I let him play through nap time he was cranky all afternoon until he fell asleep in front of the TV at 5pm. That's when I took this wonderful photo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you could tie him to the big boy bed. No, no, that wouldn't make him like it a lot. You could build a wall of toys on the side of his bed. No, no, he would just break thru them, toss them about the floor & go about wreaking more general havoc. You could yell at him & berate him. No, no, that would most likely not work too well either -- he would just grow up to hate you. O, well. You are most likely doing the best thing possible right now!! You are the bestest Mommy I know!

Jamie said...

that picture's a little bit scary. it's almost like he stops dead in his tracks from pulling things off shelves, knocking over bottles of liquids and trash cans and just collapses with a loud THUD as he hits the ground. Lil Tazmanian Devil needs his sleep too I guess.

LARISSA said...

ah, I see Nick has finally succumbed to the powers of the mentholated bath wash he seems to love so much. NICE!