Sunday, February 26, 2006


Nick is still using his crib to fall asleep at nap time. If I put him in his "big boy bed" he keeps getting out of bed to play, and entire naps have been skipped because he just doesn't fall asleep.

I've always wondered why he goes right down to sleep at night. There's never any arguing, and never any tears. I read to him, kiss him, turn out the lights, and wave good night. Twenty minutes later I check on him and he is asleep.

Last night I discovered the secret: he IS getting out of bed. I would never have known. He is very quiet about it. But last night I went to check on him and found him fast asleep, gently nestled among every single toy care, truck, and train he owns.

I don't really care. I mean, it would be nice to know when he gets to sleep so I know how much sleep he's getting, but I suppose I never really knew that anyway. I never know exactly when he wakes up in the morning, especially now that he can get out of bed and play quietly (or not so quietly). And as long as he's going back to bed himself instead of screaming or sneaking out or throwing wild parties, I suppose I count myself fortunate.

I AM still trying to find a way to get him to fall asleep in his big bed at naptime. If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no suggestions for you, but I did want to say how considerate Nicholas is. He is getting up & playing quietly & then putting himself back to bed quietly. He already knows not to disturb those of you already sleeping. He's a smart one, he is!!