Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th



When I was in 5th grade, on Friday the 13th, I fell and split my lip on a city curb. I was lucky I didn't knock my front teeth out because I already had my permanent set, my baby teeth having been knocked out in second grade by a gatepost, which I walked right into. (I'm not sure if that was on a Friday, let alone the 13th.)

Since the curb vs. lip incident I always considered Friday the 13th unlucky and avoided doing anything on that day. I am very superstitious, although I don't mean to be. As a kid I refused to wear pants to school for 2 years because I had a bad day in the 3rd grade while I was wearing pants. (I wore skirts - please don't think I went to school unclothed.)

Anyhow, I have since discovered that it isn't Friday the 13th that is unlucky. It is actually Thursday the 12th. All my Thursday the 12ths are miserable. I have really, really bad days, and I never know why. Then, the next day, when it's Friday the 13th and everyone on the radio is talking about the day and the horror films are planned for that night on TV, I think back and this feeling of enlightenment washes over me. OH YEAH! I think. THAT'S whay the day was so bad!

The good news is, my Thursday the 12ths are usually so miserable that the Fridays are a breeze, relatively happy and carefree.

Have a good day, everyone!

2 comments:

Debs said...

I sure today will be a great day, after all it's my sister's birthday :-) I hope you have a great day too.

Anonymous said...

Just to insure my day would start off right, my dry cleaner pointed out that not only was today Friday 13th, my dry cleaning ticket was #666. "You know what that means, don't you?" he asked. Yes, I said, I get a biiiig discount on dry cleaning! He didn't go for it at all -- didn't even crack a smile. What could I expect; he's Russian.