Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tulip To Be?



My Gramma loved flowers. At least, she loved gardening. And for awhile when I was small she tried to pass along her love of growing things. But unfortunately, it never took. I am hopelessly inept when it comes to plants and flowers.

Last spring and summer I planted a number of wildflowers. I actually made an effort to trim back the bushes and to keep the weeds out of the beds. But with Nicholas "helping" me and Nathan eating rocks, even pulling a few weeds required exact timing, extreme concentration, quick reflexes, the alignment of several stars, and a couple of shots of vodka.

Over the past few years I have noticed the brush on the side of our property creeping towards our house. Not friendly brush, but thorny brush. This is the type of thorny foresty brush that surrounded SLeeping Beauty's castle and that killed several faint of heart princes - obviously princes who couldn't stand the sight of blood and didn't like to get splinters. I myself would have let the thorny bushes take over, but then I realized they were taking over the hammock, and one was unable to use it and move. You'd have to lie motionless or the thorny brush would grab onto your skin or clothing and you would end up needing antiseptic and a band aid. Not relaxing.

So I started cutting it back.

It's actually quite an undertaking. I had to buy special gloves with leather palms to keep the thorns out, and no matter what I need to be wearing long sleeves. These suckers really HURT! I am determined, though. I may not be able to grow anything, but I can use the clippers and the pull up weeds!

And then, the other day, I noticed these little sprouts in the front of the house. Last fall I planted tulip bulbs that lillian had gotten me, thinking I would just plant them, because she had gotten them for me, and then whatever, I had no control over it, we'd see what happened... and look! Little sprouties! There are actually a whole bunch of them! I'm very excited and now I'm picturing tulips lined up in front of my home. Hope has been restored - isn't that what spring is about? I have a whole bunch of wildflowers to plant, and I'm going to give it another go, as soon as the rain stops.

And I will finish taking care of those thorny boshes.

And here's Nick - he's got gloves his size (not for thorny bushes) and he's ready to help!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy those tulips -- hard work really does pay off. Your little men look as adorable as ever -- growing up so fast. I'm just loving the pictures and your great stories.

Happy spring.

And congratulations to "Gramma" Linda on her promotion.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ah, the first harbinger of spring! Keep planting. Keep watering. And then just cross your fingers & hope for the best. O, yes, & take credit for absolutely anything that grows!

5:54 PM

Jamie said...

in college,i adopted one of the plants from the house in jersey. and succesfully killed it after approximately 2 weeks. I still watered it for the rest of the school year, hoping it'd come back to life. some things just aren't meant to be. that bud, however, looks like it's going to be a real winner.