Monday, January 19, 2009

Act Of Creation

The birthday cake I made for Nate was my first attempt at using rolled fondant.

I am neither baker nor sculptor, so my expectations weren't too high. Instead of making my own, for this first "play session," I purchased some ready made. You can get it at some arts & crafts stores, and all you have to do is roll it out and drape it over the cake. It was that easy. And, looking at the Wall-E cake below.... well, does it not look smooth?

I've learned a couple of things from the process. First, add flavoring. (any clear flavoring - clear vanilla!) Second, roll it thinner - it's gummy, and not pleasant to chew. Third... well, success with forming anything out of fondant can be measures by one's gift at sculpting play-doe. I can't make anything out of that stuff unless I use cookie cutters. Hence, the green stars on Nate's cake. I tried my best at turning stars into flowers, but the icing started to get hard, so I ran out of time.

Next time (and there will be a next time) I am going to try to make my own. All I need is a candy thermometer. And beautiful, premade, edible flowers.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Those cakes are pretty much the most amazing things I've ever seen. Not gonna lie

BbChoy said...

that look great