Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I still have no photos

Sorry.

I'm a little distracted tonight. Nicholas has been complaining of headaches for months - at dinner, at school... and we've been chalking them up to dramatics, guessing he is either bored or wants attention or at least a change of scene. But it's gotten so that his teachers have mentioned the headaches more than once. If he's faking he sure is persistent. Maybe he needs glasses?

So there's that.

But then... well, just before Christmas he showed me his thumb, saying he cut it. But in fact, it looked as though the nail had broken off in the middle of the nail, but hadn't quite fallen off. And so I thought he banged his thumb, or ripped his nail on something. But Saturday I noticed that two more fingers - the middle one on each hand, were developing white splotches at the base of the nail, and today one was starting to crack. And besides, the kid can't bump his toe at school without telling me about it. Let alone smash his fingers hard enough to damage three nails.. on two different hands.

I keep telling myself it's probably some nail fungus - gross, but people get it on their toes all the time. It's just that I worry. Part of me, the worst case scenario part, is worried that the headaches and the fingernails are somehow related in some horrible way.

Thursday we go to the doctor. She can laugh at me and give Nick and anti fungal.

4 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Please stay on top of this with your physician, esp if any fungicide does not appear to be working. Nail problems reflect other problems going on (ie,
deficiencies from malnutrition, malabsorption, etc), or just a fungal problem as you say. Get a second opinion if your doctor sends you home with a just tube of fungal cream & does not take tests.
Feel better, Nick!

Debs said...

Is he getting enough to drink? Especially plain water if possible. It could be that he's slightly dehydrated and that's causing the headaches.

Anonymous said...

Nick's uncle Winston had the headache problem in spades and I just thought it was hypochondria. Now he tells me it was a program with processing insulin which certainly runs on my side of the family. Andy, your cousin, also had a huge problem with headaches before he was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when he was only 11. So do tell th doctor about these things and make sure she checks him out 6 ways to Sunday. love, love, love,
jean the mom

Anonymous said...

Of course I meant a problem ( not program) with insulin.

jean the mom