Friday, January 01, 2010

Best Laid Plans

I always make just a few New Year's resolutions. I keep them simple and easy to follow, and limit myself to a reasonable number so that I can't fail at too many.

Why do we do these things? I know many people don't. I mean, I don't remember making New Year's resolutions as a child, nor do I remember my parents making any, or even referring to them in any way but a joke. But there are people who do. Including myself. Why? WHY DO I DO THIS?

Well, for me, I think it comes from a real effort, a real desire, to become a better person. Or to reach one's ultimate goals, perhaps. I resolve to watch my diet and work out more so that I might stay healthy and in shape as I get older. I resolve to take my vitamins and my calcium for the same reason. I resolve yell and shout less, especially at my children, and to find other ways to make myself heard. I resolve to keep the TV off more, and to spend more time outdoors. I resolve to continue making an effort to minimize any harmful effects I might have on the planet.

I want to do these things. I promise myself that I will try to do these things. But it really is hard to break out of old routines and cycles of behavior. Every morning I mean to do the right thing, but each evening I realize I forgot to take my vitamin, that we never set foot out of the house, and that I spent hours doing nothing but shouting.

But it can't stop be from trying. The only sure way to fail is not to try, right?

No comments: