Monday, January 18, 2010

Chatter

Andy surprises me each day with his conversation. Don't get me wrong. there are no full sentences, and even if you can make out the individual words sometimes you need to grasp for meaning. Even so, he can sometimes express himself quite well.

While I folded laundry, Nick and Nate were playing Toy Story Yahtzee. Andy took another new game from the table, and I quickly tried to discourage him from opening it. "That's really a Big Boy Game," I said.
"Nate!" he said.
"Yep, it's Nate's game. I think it might even be a little big for him."
And then Andy said something like... "Willow."
"Willow?"
"No! Willow!"
"Pillow?"
"No! Willow!"
"Oh! Little!"
"Yah!"
"You're too little for the game?"
"Yeah."

As heartbreaking as that conversation was, it wasn't as funny as when he walked up to me while I was making dinner. "Me help! Me help!"
And for the next twenty minutes he 'helped' by grabbing things off the counter - the spatula, the garlic, the butter - and handed them to me. Needed or not.

2 comments:

g. fox said...

I am overcome by the cuteness.

Jean said...

me too