Monday, January 04, 2010

Christmas Is Over

My parents have a big Christmas tree. It's twelve feet tall if it's an inch, and it's impeccably decorated. I covet every single ornament on that tree. Also, there isn't one pine needle on the floor. Because the tree is fake. It's amazing.

We took our Christmas tree down today. Ours was about six feet tall - our ceilings are only eight feet, so anything taller becomes impractical. And unlike my parents, we got a real tree. This usually poses a needle problem, but this year was just awful. Before Christmas they were already falling off at an alarming rate. By this morning many of the branches were already bald. And each brush brought another shower on needles to the floor. The under-dressed tree looked like this:



Let's take a closer look at the floor, shall we?



I am now seriously considering buying an impostor tree for future use.

But for now, I'm putting Christmas away for awhile. The cleaning it up has turned me into a Scrooge - why did I hand all these lights? Why did I think we needed all this stuff, all this music? The magic is lost. And instead, I'm just tired. I don't think I'm the only one.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

In the smaller picture, I thought that was a green skirt around the base of your tree. In the larger picture, I see it is in fact pine needles. I'm guessing it was a little dry.

Susan's Losin' said...

Giving up the fallen needles also means giving up the smell of Christmas, which sadly we have opted to do. But living in Scottsdale means that Christmas is just different than it is in the east. And, it is a wonderful gift!