Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another Cold

I have another cold.

Colds are funny things. I mean, on one hand, a cold is just a cold. It's not a huge deal. On the other hand, a cold makes you congested, gives you a runny nose, blocks up your ears, chaps your lips, and gives you an uncontrollable appetite for chocolate covered pound cake. Which makes life more difficult.

I usually survive my colds with Afrin. I swear by it. Yes, I know, it's nose spray, and therefore dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. But on the other hand, it lets me BREATHE. And breathing helps be do the things I need to do. Like sleep and yell at my children.

When I was in NY, Jamie got me a new bottle of Afrin. It's not drops, it's a spray, and it works better. One dose can keep be going 18 hours. Within ten minutes I feel as though I have no cold at all, and life goes on. The trouble is, it wears off suddenly. It's like Cinderella at the ball - one minute I'm dancing with a prince in a beautiful gown, the next minute I'm wearing rags, sitting on a pumpkin, and breathing through my mouth.

The thing is, I keep expecting each dose to be my last. At some point I use the Afrin, and it just doesn't occur to me to take it again. It may wear off, but the congestion just won't be so bad. I won't think about it. Usually after a few days.

Please, please let that time be soon.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

i'm so sorry you've caught a cold. Totally sucks! also, i don't think i ever knew the spray was bad for you.

Susan's Losin' said...

Kathleen, you write the best blog! What a wonderful memoir you are in the process for writing for your little guys, and for you and Steve.

So sorry you aren't feeling well. Let's hear it for Afrin!

g. fox said...

Boil some ginger root, add a butt-ton of honey and lemon and that should help! feel better!

Jean said...

Feed a cold, starve a fever, so eat more chocolate covered pound cake or anything else covered in chocolate and FEEL BETTER.