Saturday, January 09, 2010

Spineless

I am really, really good at finding the long way around to my point.

Nathan still wears pull-ups at night. I think this is fine - he's just turning four. And ideally, wearing a pull-up would keep this night-time potty training from being an issue. But the trouble is, Nathan has never been able to keep his pee in his diaper. And now, his pull-up. I don't know why.

So, to keep from having to change wet sheets every morning (because he doesn't wake-up when he leaks, he discovers it only when he wakes up) I wake him up before I go to bed, and bring him into the bathroom so he has a better chance of staying dry. This usually works, and when I fail to wake him, he usually leaks.

But Nathan doesn't wake very easily, so I usually carry him most of the way and direct him toward the toilet.

Last night, as I was lifting his drowsy body, I got stuck.

I was lifting him, and suddenly I couldn't straighten up. It was my back. My back was just telling me that, no, this was it, I had reached my full range of motion here, at a 45 degree angle.

I did manage to eventually stand up, and also convince Nate that he could walk. But once back in my bedroom, I found reclining into a horizontal position quite uncomfortable, and even painful. Once down, I couldn't move.

Anyway, I'm better. Mostly. I was just taken by surprise. And I am suddenly aware of how many times a day I lift crying or screaming or kicking little boys. And bend over to pick up object from the floor. I'm hoping this goes away and doesn't come back.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

you do a lot more bending and carrying than i do and my back is in terrible shape. it can't hurt to entertain the idea of yoga/pilates/a chiropractor.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Jamie is right. Yoga & mat pilates classes helped me enormously. You should give it a try. I know there are DVD's available!