Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Head Full Of Staples

My last post had a picture of Nick and Nate sitting in the snow near the brook in back of our house. My brother Jamie made a comment about how they looked a little too close to the water, and how it made him nervous, and then went on to say being a parent would give him heart trouble. I would like to state, for the record, that the entire time I was taking pictures down by the brook - from ten feet away - I was shouting at the kids to move back. And we were down there for about fifteen seconds before I made us turn around.

Being a parent doesn't mean you don't feel nervous about your kids dashing their brains out. It means you are actually worried about things like that ALL THE TIME. I mean, EVERY WAKING MOMENT. And how you deal with it - be it to freak out four times a second about all the possible injuries that could occur, or to surpress and squash those feelings and smile while you drink a third glass of wine - well, that's up to you.

Tonight, as I was cooking dinner, Nathan hit his head on the corner of our fireplace and I had to take him to the Emergency Room. This is an injury both Steve and I saw coming. We saw it as soon as Nick learned to roll over. "One day he's going to smack his head on the corner of that thing" we said. And I tried to child-proof it for awhile. I tried covering it with pillows and the placing a huge baby gate in front of it. And eventually, as time went by and life went on and the kids got older, we learned to live with letting it be except for the occasional "Move away from there!" and "Stop jumping off that!"

So, I saw it happen. I saw Nate fall, and I saw him stand up, and I saw him start to cry as he ran to me, blood pouring down the back of his neck. Nicholas jumped in and did exactly what I asked him to do, running to get Steve, then running up and getting my shoes, and when he couldn't find Nate's shoes he got his own for Nate to wear. I was frantically trying to calm Nate while pressing an entire roll of paper towels on his head.

And once we got to the Hospital, once we checked him in and sat there, waiting for someone to look at his head, watching an hour's worth of cartoons featuring nothing but Fart Jokes, the Medical Practitioner put four staples into my baby's head. Staples. Not stitches. No needles and thread, but a staple gun. Into Nate's HEAD.

He was very brave. Other than crying when he hit his head, he was his usual stoic self, and only cried for a few seconds when the last staple went in.

I didn't expect the staples. I really didn't. And I supposed, in the long run, they are better than the stitches. They are stronger, it was faster to put them in. It's his head, so scarring isn't an issue... But still. It seems so barbaric.

And now, now what do we do about the fireplace corner? How do we stop this from happening again? Or is that anything we can even do? Sure, we can paste soft corner things onto every corner of our home. We can bubble wrap the entire place. Or we can freak out every time they boys move within two feet of anything sharp. Maybe the best thing to do is to hope that Nathan learned something, and that he will learn not to fling his body toward sharp objects.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to be a good mother, here.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

hey, the staples are a rite of passage. he's going to be bragging about them at school for weeks.

he really likes wearing that helmet when he's not riding his bike, so maybe you can encourage him to wear it at all other times of the day, like at supper or when he's taking a nap or going to the bathroom. And definitely when he's playing the "roll off the fireplace" game.

I'm sorry your day involved a visit to the ER and Nate getting staples. Please give him a big hug for me. BTW, I don't know of any mom that knows how to take care of kids better than you. I mean it!

g. fox said...

I second that. You are super mom. And kids will NEVER learn to be careful if everything is bubble wrapped.

Once more I reiterate: you are a fantastic mother. Hugs and popsicles to the convalescent!

LARISSA said...

I third that you are a great mom. You can't prevent kids from hurting themselves and doing stupid things. Like you said, you can only hope that they've learned a lesson. At the very least, I think you can rest assured that Nate and Nick won't repeat Nate's performance any time soon.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Blah, blah, blah, Mom, blah, blah, great, blah ,blah, Yeah, thst's true. BUT NATE GOT STAPLES! Woo hoo! STAPLES! He'll be bragging & getting girls to touch his head & feel them. Nate's so cool! And so is Nick for giving his brother his own shoes to go to the ER in.

Unknown said...

Do I count as #5 or #6 of YOU ARE A FANTASTIC MOTHER? Either way you are a fantastic mother of fantastic kids. Ask me to tell you about my friend Erica some time... life is dangerous. You are teaching them to live and learn in it now - and complete with dangers and cause/effect. No bubble wrap. Tell Nate I can't wait for him to tell me the whole story and how brave I thought he was. Tell Nick I can't wait to hear his whole side of the story and how quick and helpful (and brave) he was. Tell Andy I can't wait to see him do (re: me dos).