Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Mammogram

Yes, I'm talking about that. So if you think you'll be offended, you can skip this post. But I will not go into any descriptive detail, so you're probably safe.

See, the thing is, I've heard nothing but awful things about getting a mammogram. It's uncomfortable. It's even painful. It's humiliating. It's a big, huge, pain. I didn't even WANT to know.

When my doctor referred me for a baseline mammogram, I groaned. I dreaded it. Why me? But really, I had no idea what to expect.

And afterward, I was like.... THAT WAS IT?!

SERIOUSLY?

THIS is what people dread? Those five minutes? I mean, I wouldn't say I had fun, or even that I enjoyed the process, but I have to tell you that I just don't see what the big deal is. I mean, cost and insurance aside, this was one of the most painless things I can think of. In fact, since I am a list maker by nature, I have made a list of things that I enjoy LESS or dread MORE than getting another mammogram. Given a choice, I would rather have a mammogram than do any of the following things, all things I know I will have to do at least once in the next few months. (My next mammogram should not be until I turn 40.)

1 - go to the dentist.
2 - change planes at JFK
3 - attend a birthday party at Chuck E Cheeze
4 - shop for shoes
5 - or pants
6 - clean puke out of the carpet at 3am

There. That was just off the top of my head. I'm sure many more things will come to me later today.

No comments: