Monday, April 25, 2011

Pets To The Vets

We get those postcards in the mail. The ones telling us the pets need their shots and general check-ups.

I called. "I would like to make three different appointments," I said. "It's such a bother to deal with more than one."

"Oh, no!" the lady on the phone said. "Well, If you can get them all in within 24 hours, you get a 10% discount."

Hmmm... "OK, I'll bring them all at the same time." At least this way I'll get it over with, I thought.

Cut to me, getting out of the car at the vet's office.

I have two cats, each in a very large cat carrier.

I have a dog, who is big and excited and needs to pee on every bush and smell everything.

I have two boys, 3 and 5, who are excited to be doing something different.

Before the car doors closed all the way, Andrew managed to fall and hit his head on the pavement. I couldn't do anything, because my hands were full of cat carrier and dog leash.

In the exam room, Frank refused to get out of his carrier. He then hid until the vet took him out of the room. He was returned at arms length. Puck was docile, but once he was done he curled up in the carrier. Gunther barked the whole time. The vet took him out to get a urine sample. How the heck to you get a dog to pee in a cup?

When Steve got home that afternoon, I gave him the run down. The cats are too heavy, and need to eat less. Gunther is too skinny, and needs to eat more. They are doing blood tests to make sure nothing is wrong. He also has a laceration on his foot that is infected and needs antibiotics for 4 weeks. Twice a day. He also has a really cool collar so he won't lick his wound. He has been sulking every since, and keeps bumping into things because he can't see.

We also got flea and tick meds and heartworm meds for the next six months. I am really glad we got that discount. Also, I'm really glad we only do this once a year. Pets are expensive.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

OMG...that's all I kept repeating as I read. You should get a medal for undertaking such a complicated undertaking...3 pets & 2 small kids! You are either supermom or on drugs! Good on ya!

g. fox said...

poor, poor gunther. also... yes, you are clearly supermom.