Wednesday, April 20, 2011

So much to do

There are times when I look around and see how much I have to do around this house - everything that needs fixing, cleaning, doing - and I panic. I can't possibly plant a vegetable garden, pull out the remaining thorny brush, repaint the boy's bathroom and re-organize the basement in the same year! Where do I even start? I can't think of where to begin.

Or when. When do I start? There is no time!

Over the past few months I made a change to my schedule. Instead of working out at 8:30 or 9am when the kids were in school, I started setting my alarm for 5:15. I have been getting up before the day begins so that I can run five miles before breakfast. I originally did this so I could spend more time writing. But alas, I am even worse about writing than I was about running. It's easier to squeeze in a run between dropping the kids off and a vet's appointment. It's harder to squeeze writing in between the school bus and gymnastics class. I find I do odd jobs instead, like emptying the dish washer and doing laundry.

I was supposed to have a novel written by now. It's been two months. Instead I have 30 pages of draft. But my workouts have become much more frequent. I'm keeping the change.

Because of this feeling of being overwhelmed, of not having enough time to fix up my own home or pursue my own hobbies, I am making another change. I have taken a good look at my life, and my habits, and my activities, trying to find out where I spend my time.

It's at the computer.

I love my computer, but it's stealing my soul. Not just this blog, but Facebook and Netflix. My IPad changed my life, but I need to put it DOWN!

And more than that (Mom, please don't hate me) I have to put down the books.

See, when I'm not checking out everyone's status updates or watching bad movies on Netflix, I have my nose in a book. I used to think this was OK, because it's a book. Books are our friends, and we can learn from them, and they can speak to us in a way that ordinary people can't. But Books also drag my mind away from life. The last time I put down a book to interact my sons learned to ride their bikes.

So now, no books. No computers. Not during the day. Except for writing. And keeping track of my running and possibly to listen to music when I'm in the shower because that's a really cool trick. And reading my book during nap-time. That will be OK, too.

Instead, I am going to do yardwork when My kids are outside. When I am tired of that I have to play with my kids. Or sleep. Anything else, really. I can do this. I can, I can!

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Choosing to interact with life is never wrong! I'll bet you also manage to still find time to read!