Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Scream-Free Parenting

At the Library, I picked up an audiobook called "Scream-Free Parenting."

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, so I can't give my opinion.

All I know is that I almost didn't pick it up. I took a look, stifled a snort, and thought "How the heck would I get the kids to DO ANYTHING?"

Which is, after all, the real reason I ended up picking it up and taking it home. Since I've started listening, I've pinpointed four or five episodes where I was screaming my head off. I know, on an intellectual level, that screaming doesn't really DO anything. But sometimes, like when the bus is coming and your five-year-old is somehow still shoeless and coatless, it just happens. It seems like the only logical response. How else can you light a fire under the kid so that he actually moves his body to get those shoes on?

I'm hoping that I actually learn something from this book, because I think a lot of my feeling bad about myself has to do with feeling grumpy and regretful about parenting mistakes. And by that I mean yelling at my kids. I don't want to be the yelling kind of parent. I want to be the nice, calm parent.

If only it were actually in my nature.


1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You are the nice clam parent. You are a great mother!