Friday, September 01, 2006

Mount Washington


I never explained about Mount Washington. I know I mentioned it, but I don't think I explained the true awsomeness of the experience.

First of all, we drove. There is an 8 mile road that leads up to the top. Many people choose to hike Mount Washington, but it takes longer. Ask my friend Larissa. She hiked it, got to the top, only to find it overcast and cloudy, with no views to be had. We drove to the top and it was overcast and cloudy, but we didn't have to hike or sleep in a tent on the hard ground. So we didn't care as much.

Driving up the road I realized a few things. The first thing was that the road was kind of narrow. The second thing was that there were really steep drop offs with no guard rails RIGHT NEXT TO THE CAR. And even though it was cloudy, the views were kind of amazing. I kept yelling at Steve to look at the road because I was afraid he would look out the window and then drive us off a cliff. My brother is afraid of heights. And I realized that I turned into him, clutching the car seat as if my grip would keep up from plummeting to our deaths. The roads were also steep. The steepest part had an 18% grade. Pretty steep, for a road. This is why they didn't want me to go up in my Saturn. I never would have made it UP the mountain.

At the top they have a little building where you can get hot food, buy souvenirs, and get warm as you look out at the cold views. On a clear day you're supposed to be able to see clear to Boston on one side and clear to the Portsmouth and the ocean on another. Oh, and there is a wall with the names of the people who have died on the mountain. Nice, huh? I was dizzy from the cold and the height and the lack of oxygen.

Anyway, on the way down we passed this guy. He was about a half mile from the summit. His friend was a few yards behind him. I just thought... why? WHY ARE YOU RUNNING UP THIS STEEP MOUNTAIN IN THE COLD AND DRESSED IN YOUR UNDERWEAR? Obviously some people are very dedicated to their sports.

No comments: