Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How It Is.


Every time I feel like things are settling down, and that I'm finally catching up on the laundry, getting back to pre-Nate weight, setting time asdie to actually SPEND with my kids... someone gets a stomach bug in the middle of the night.

Last night, after changing sheets on Nick's bed, after changing his pyjamas and washing half his head to get the gross smell out, I found myself holding a blanket to his mouth as he retched, and I thought "Why do I have to do this again? Didn't I do it right the first time?"

Wouldn't it be great if life worked that way? If you did a great job cleaning up after your sick kid, comforted him, did a load of wash at 11pm, all while remaining calm and sympathetic and efficient, then he wouldn't throw up 14 more times. you wouldn't have to watch the collection of puky blankets and towels grow during the night. You would get more than 2 hours sleep, and the next morning you would wake up feeling refreshed, and your kids would feel healthy.

Of course, this morning I realized that it doesn't matter if your kids are feeling healthy or not, they STILL want to get up at 5am when it is pitch black.

When Nick gets sick he is too small to know what to do. He can't even pee in the toilet, so throwing up in the toilet is out of the question. I don't even know he's going to throw up until it's happened, and I don't think he does, either. He doesn't turn over, so the puke just pools on his pyjama top and on the pillow and sheets. When he does happen to be sitting up, he tends to let his whole body relax, and if I don't support him his face falls into the blanket or towel I am holding for him, getting his face and head all messy.

This morning he seemed better, but didn't eat, and less than an hour after breakfast he threw up his apple juice all over my bathroom floor, and also on my duvet. I have no groceries, and I can't get out to get any. I can't tell you why he is sick so often, but Nick always seems to have something. He only has school two days a week and he has been out more times than I can count.

This has to end. It just does. Mostly because I need sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling, I'm so sorry.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

OMG! You poor exhausted thing! Is he sick with a virus that he keeps re-catching or could he possibly be allergic to something? If it were a virus or bug, wouldn't you or Nate & Steve also get it? Could it be something he's eating, that he might be allergic to? Have you asked the doctor about this? Poor Nicky. Poor Mommy.