Thursday, January 04, 2007

Up to my Knees in Antibiotics



After his tummy bug the opther day, Nick's temperature never went down to normal. He wasn't puking, but he was coughing that demon cough he's had for what I think amounts to, oh, maybe forever. So I called the doctor. She listened to his lungs, and told me one of them sounded a little junky, and since the last time Nick was sick he was SO SICK, she'd rather play it safe. So Nick is now on antibiotics. Again.

Of course, Nathan started coughing this morning and running a low fever. I'm waiting to see how long HE keeps it before bringing us in. And Puck, my cat, is still on antibiotics, too. We have a lot of medicing flowing through this house.

But other than the demon cough and the possible pnemonia, Nick is actually fine. He gets droopy and tired, but he is himself, asking questions and playing and wating to do things. Yesterday at lunch, I overheard him counting his grapes. He pointed to one grape at a time. "One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, EIght, Nine, Ten.." I expected him to stop at ten, but he went on. "Furleven, Tweve..." then he kind of got stuck. "Furleven, Tweve, Furleven, Tweve..." It was like he was cought in a loop. So I tried to help. "Thirteen?" I said. Nick looked at me and smiled, then turned back to his grapes. "One, Two..." he started over.

What's important to note about this incident is that there were actually only six grapes on Nick's plate. He just keeps re-counting the same grapes over and over. And I was so excited to hear him count that I didn't correct him or point anything out. Math never was the strong point in our family. Not on my side, anyway.

2 comments:

Debs said...

Ahhh, great counting Nick.
Hey, do we get to see pictures of the new kitchen floor anytime?!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Okay, herd otgether all those who are taking madicine & lock them in the cellar. Tell them they cannot come out til they are well & resolutely determined to remain that way for at least 3 months. Then go sit in The Chair!!!