Thursday, January 11, 2007

Nathan's Secret


Mom, Dad, brace yourselves.
Nathan has a LEEEEDLE touch of separation anxiety.
Which is to say that, every second I am not holding him in my arms and also devoting every single last bit of energy I possess to him, he screams and cries and wails like a banchee.
It doesn't matter if I leave the room to go to the vet, the bathroom, or the trash for one moment. He screams and cries. If we are in the same room but I am attempting to do something that does not involve him, at least not immediately, such as changing sheets, folding laundry, preparing a meal, changing Nick's diaper, using the computer, or sleeping, he screams.
If, however, I should attempt to change HIS diaper, or force him to wear clothing, or try and clean or groom or feed him in any way, Nathan screams and wails.

He throws tantrums. He flingls his body back and forth and more often than not ends up klonking his head on walls, floors, and furniture. Life, he discovers, is hard.

Seriously, the situation is fast approaching uncontrollable. Not only does he scream to be held when I can't, and scream at me to leave him be when I can't, but the only time he is NOT screaming is invariably the time he chooses to go play in the recycle bin, or put dog food in his mouth, or stick his toothbrush into the toilet AS NICK IS USING IT. Many nights I find myself constantly moving, trying to ignore the crying, as Nathan toddles after me, in tears, screaming, wanting something,. I have offered him food. He reject the food. I have offered him milk, he rejects the milk. I hold him, he reaches for hot things on the stove and wriggles for knives and squirms until I have to put him down. Besides, I can't cook that way.

So, we're heading down to visit my parents this weekend. I'm just giving everyone a heads up. Yes, he's cute and adorable, but he's a stormer. Get ready. Batten Down the Hatches... whatever that means. This is your chance. By the time we get there it will be too late.

Bwahahahaha!

4 comments:

LARISSA said...

Hi Kathleen -
I'm sorry I will miss seeing Hurricane Nathan being unleashed this weekend! Maybe the next time I see you guys, he'll have downgraded to a "tropical storm"... hehehehe.

Debs said...

He does look cute in photos though!

Anonymous said...

Poor little Nathan and poor Mommy!!

This too shall pass, but in the meantime:

Is there a baby whisperer out there?

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

He inherited Emily's lungs!