Friday, January 05, 2007

Rated E for Everyone


My life is like some kind of video game. Not one of the exciting ones, like the ones Steve plays, where army guys are blowing each other up either dressed in WWI or WWII garb, or sometimes futuristic garb, or sometimes space garb on Mars. My life is more like one of those silly games where one must accomplish certain tasks within a given time frame, without being caught by the minions of evil. Like the SIMS. Or one of those where you have to sheer a hundred sheep before the wolf eats them. Or even Parappa the Rappa. I liked that one. Where the guy needs to do a series of things like get his drivers permit and then make a cake, all so he can take his girl out on a date. And the only way he can do these things is if he raps correctly, and you need to press the right buttons at the right time in order for this to happen. These games seem silly, but really, it takes a lot of practice to get it right.

In my Video Game life I must do things like Make Breakfast, or Do Laundry. I need to do it quickly, though, because it is only a matter of time before one of the minions of evil (my kids) come up and try to 'help' by pressing buttons, or 'folding,' or even just standing there screaming. And then you loose points. Nathan even has a way of immobilizing me completely by clutching my legs so I can't move because if I do it will knock him over and he will split his head open on the tile floor and then I will LOOSE THE GAME! Just this morning I played the levels Get Kids Dressed and Get Self Dressed. It's tricky because as soon as I help Nick off the potty Nate is waiting to thrust his toothbrush into the water. And I still can't wash my face and brush my teeth without Nick demanding to use my deodorant and pumping a quart of body lotion into his hands.

Lucky for me, I like games like this, and tend to do well in them. But I also like to take a break every once and awhile. Nathan is sick and I wasn't allowed to finish a dream last night, not even the one where Steve and I were shopping at Wal-Mart for discounted Holiday items, and I was reaching across his body, being carfeul not to wake him (he was sleeping while standing at Wal-Mart?) and trying to find a red candle for under $6. I never found one. SO I guess I don't pass that level.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

No, no, no. You have passed all the levels up to the one you are currently working on. You passed infancy, toddler-hood, childhood, all the schools & then single-hood & even married-hood. Now you are right past the beginning of Mommy-hood (part of Parenthood with your spouse). Don't be too eager to pass on to the next level yet, it will arrive all too soon.