Saturday, August 16, 2008

Big Stuff

Anyone who has seen our home knows that... well... we do not lack space. Space, we have. We also do not lack clutter. We have a lot of that, too. The thing is, with baby items, the clutter can be large.

This afternoon, I managed to get Andrew drowsy for a nap. He doesn't always take one later afternoon, but when he doesn't getting through dinner is a real chore. But we were downstairs, and I didn't want to put him in his crib all the way upstairs. So I decided to place him in his swing, something we haven't used in a while.

Since we haven't used it in a while, I had placed it in the hallway. But I accidentally jostled the baby while trying to find the strap to secure him in. I looked down at him and he was grinning at me. So to keep him happy I wanted to make sure he could see me. I dragged the swing from the front hall into the kitchen, so I could start making dinner.

Once I did that, I had to move the exersaucer, which had been taking up most of the free kitchen floor space. I dragged that into the dining room, but the corner I was aiming to put it in was occupied with the play yard, which was still in its bag from our trip to the beach. I dragged that over to the other corner, which had the parts of the play yard we didn't take to the beach - the changing table and the mobile, which Andy has already outgrown. Back in the kitchen I picked up the noise-making activity table and took it to the living room, where the other noise-making activity table was in the middle of the room. I tried finding a good corner to put them in, a place not occupied with the furry bear footrest or the life sized fire engine. Finally I gave up and just put it in the middle of the rug.

I know that a lot of these things will go away eventually. But right now our home is a giant obstacle course.

No comments: