Sunday, August 03, 2008

Perspective



I have probably mentioned this before, but Nicholas is outgrowing his nap. It was bound to happen at some point. I just wish I had outgrown it first.

Some days, like today, I know he needs a nap because he has had an unusually active of exciting morning. But I can't get him to fall asleep. He jumps on the bed and flails his arms as soon as I leave the room to keep himself awake.

I was angry today because I almost got to sleep myself, and was just drifting off when I heard him moving in the other room. I would have left him there, but there was another sleeping child in there. And I know how that works because I used to be a non napping, early rising child. You walk over to the sleeping sibling, peel back the eyelid until the eye focuses on you, and then you shout "Mom! He's AWAKE!" And you only have to do that is leaping onto the bed didn't wake him first.

So I was upset with Nick. He wouldn't be still, and he wouldn't be still, and he wouldn't be still. I sat with him, and he was still awake. And then... I gave up. I just decided not to me angry anymore. And sure, he still needed a nap and was miserable right around dinner time, but let's be honest, that would have happened anyway. So I flipped over on my bed with my head over the side, and Nick brushed my hair and went into my bathroom and came out with chapstick, which he applied to my lips (teeth) and moisturizer which he applied to my face (and hair) and it was a wonderful and funny time, and so much better than being angry and trying to force Nick to do something he couldn't do.

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Okay, okay, this would have been a much better story if you had posted a picture of yourself AFTER your FREE BEAUTY MAKEOVER! O, yeah, & if Nick had used real lipstick instead of colourless chapstick. I'm sure you looked in the mirror & the image is burned into your retinas! You need to take pictures of these things so you can show them when they're grown exactly what they did to you during their formative years.

Jamie said...

and look at him swim!