Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Wall E


As I think I mentioned, I began the vast undertaking of cleaning out and organizing Steve's computer closet. In the process, I ran across my old laptop.

I have sentimental feelings about this laptop. I got it my senior year in college, and at the time I thought it was so cool. This was back in 1995, mind you. I can't even being to tell you how many generations that is in computer terms. But this laptop... it's huge, first of all. It must be three and a half inches thick. The screen is tiny inside the top, and it's... well, it's gray scale. Meaning there is no color. But at the time I thought it was so cool because it wasn't that computery green. It doesn't have internet access. And it takes about seven minute to boot up.

My new laptop, the one I use now, is a sleek white. It's thin, light, brilliant colors and video - I can watch movies on it and they look wonderful. It is ready to go about twenty seconds after I turn it on.

I don't know if you've seen the movie Wall-E yet. (I think you should It was so cute.) In the movie, Wall-E is an "old" robot. And he Meets Eve, a "new" robot. And whoever animated that movie must have had my computers in mind, because the first thing Nick said when I turned on my old computer was "Wall-E makes a sound like that!"

Sadly, my old computer doesn't really work any more. I can turn it on, but only as long as I am pushing the power cord into the computer as hard as I can. As soon as I release pressure, the battery dies, and I have to reboot, which means waiting seven minutes before opening a program... and sadly, there is no way to get the information - some writing I did many years ago - off the computer. Because it takes square floppy discs, not round CD discs. And it is so old I can't hook it up to any printer I own. Oh, well. If Ihadn't found it, I wouldn't have missed it.

Still, I thought it was funny seeing the computers side by side.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

there's gotta be a way to get those documents off of that computer...wow, it's been a while since I've used a square disk for a computer.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Jamie's right -- there must be some way to xfer files from floppy to disc or something else! Doesn't Steve know this?! Doesn't he know someone who knows this????