Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Monster Feet

I finally went and purchased new shoes for the boys.

It was kind of overdue, but I knew that the second I got shoes for them, their feet would grow another two sizes, and I'd be right back where we started. I guess I was waiting for their feet to grow BEFORE I went to get new shoes. Anyway, the time had come.

Usually we go the Stride Right, where the boys select some great shoes that they get measured for and fitted in and cost... well, more than I pay for my own shoes. Although I am notoriously cheap when it comes to clothing. And my shoes last much longer

Anyway, we went to Kids Foot Locker, where we could find these Sesame Street Sneakers. They had three kinds - Elmo, Cookie Monster, and Oscar. Of course both of my kids wanted Oscar. So that Steve and I would spend the next six months picking up one shoe after another and wondering which kid it belonged to.

The woman working at the Kids Foot Locker had the IQ of one of the sneakers. She stood there while I found one of those foot measuring thingies and measured my own kids feet. I asked for an eleven for Nick, and then I said Nate was an 8 1/2. "Do you have a 9 1/2?" And she shook her head and told me they didn't have half sizes. Then she said they didn't have Oscar shoes in Nate's size. So I convinced him to select a different sneaker, and she brought it out, and it did not fit. "What size is this?" I asked. She said size 8. Because, you know, he measure 8 1/2, but they didn't have half sizes.

I just smiled and asked for a 9. Then she asked if he wanted the Oscar shoe in a 9, or the black sneakers? I wanted to hit her over the head. Because being thick skulled is one thing, but another with kids jumping all over the place and even Andy was pulling display sneakers off onto the floor at this point.

Anyway, they both got their shoes. And they love them.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Annnnd they're pea-soup-green & yellow...which goes with everything! Thank goodness!