Friday, August 08, 2008

La la LA

I was going to do a post about the weather. Because its been raining for DAYS here, and not just a heavy rain, or a little rain, but a constant state of overcast with heavy rain and thunderstorms in the afternoons, for over a week now. And it's been keeping us indoors and, quite honestly, driving me a bit insane.

But no one really cares about the weather, unless I have photos of flooding. So instead I'm going to talk about my kids, and music.

Each night I play them a CD of music to fall asleep to. And recently I've started offering them a choice of CD's. As with anything where I offer both boys a choice, they each decide they want DIFFERENT THINGS. I can't explain how odd it is to listen to my children arguing. "Brahms! Brahms!" "No, Mozart! Mozart!" And I honestly thought I could actually stick John Coltrane in the CD player and tell them it was Beethoven, and they wouldn't know the difference.

But then tonight, Nathan said he wanted Brahms and then started singing it. I was floored. And a small part of me that I try and pretend doesn't exist got all warm and proud, and I thought "I am doing something RIGHT! My children are learning something because of ME! And it's CULTURAL!" So I nodded and said "That's Brahms, very good. Now can you sing Mozart?"

Maybe the boys were both singing different songs. Maybe they were both singing multiple songs. They have, after all, heard a lot of Mozart. But what ended up coming out of them was a random dissonant jangle of "doo doo DOO's" that resembled nothing close to Mozart, Brahms, or any other composer unless you count Schoenberg. This reassured me, in an odd way. The boys are not musical geniuses. They just know that one song of Brahms. And they also like to argue.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

No, no, no! They ARE musical genii. They are also shy & do not like to show off in front of you. I have heard Andrew humming the favourites of Rosa Ponsell & Nick unconsciously murmurs one of the arias from Aida while he reads to himself. And Nato, well, Nate seems to prefer Coltrane & scat. I do not explain; I just report.

Jamie said...

i'm so glad you're exposing them to mozart and brahms. i love that they argue over which of the two they'd rather listen to.

Anne-E. said...

So how proud is Jean the Mom of this post???? xoxo Aunt Anne-E.