Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Good Grief


Nick's first T-Ball game was tonight. The day had been mostly sunny and very warm, so even though the wind picked up a little bit as we left the house I didn't worry about the weather.

By the time we reached the park, the rain was coming down in buckets and the wind was making the trees sway more than I thought they could. We waited at the field while the rain fell, thinking maybe it would back off, or just stop. Because sometimes rain does that here.

But it didn't. As team after team gave up and called their games, SUV after SUV pulled out of the parking lot and back onto the now soaking road.

Nick was very disappointed. He was really looking forward to playing his first game. So I gave him my cell phone so he could call Steve and let him know we were on our way home.

It was a pretty harsh storm. Two houses down a big old tree fell right in their front yard. I was happy we had power, because I know other people lost theirs.

But here's the thing: IT HAD STOPPED RAINING. The gale force winds had died down and the clouds had begun clearing out, letting the sun through. It does that sometimes, here.

As I hopped out of the car to get the mail, which was soaking wet because some kids knocked the door off the mailbox and we've been too lazy to replace it, I reminded Nick that I needed my phone back.

"I know," he said. "I just really liked talking on your cell phone."

And then, as I was just almost out of hearing range, "I wish I had my own cell phone!"

Please. Can we at least wait until he's ten before having this fight?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

it's really too bad that the game got rained out. Look at him! He's starting to look like a tween.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Ok, I'm ignoring the phone fight thing, because I can't even conceive. To me the answer is always, You can have your own cel phone, when you get a job to pay for it. But look at him! He's a real baseball player!! I can't wait to hear all about the first game! Go, Nick, go!