Thursday, May 13, 2010

Parenthood

My favorite movie of all time is Parenthood.

It always has been, ever since I saw it as a teenager. I made my mother watch it, only she started it on the wrong side of the laser disc so she it didn't quite have the same effect on her. But for me, this movie had everything. Steve Martin, Keanu Reeves, and a happy ending where everyone got a baby as a party favor.

I still love this movie, even if Steve has told me he will never watch it with me again, because the way I cry at the end makes him nervous.

As a parent, different parts of this movie come back to me in different forms. Maybe it's wanting to shelter my children from information that I know will hurt them. Maybe it's wanting them to succeed. Maybe it's defending them to other parents. Most recently I've been reminded of the scene in the principle's office, where the parents of a nine-year-old have been informed that their child will need Special Ed. After a pause, Steve Martin stands up, points directly at his wife and shouts "She smoked grass!"

Whenever one of my children acts out, is a little too active, a little slow to catch on, I wonder if it's something I did. He can't sit still? He has bad handwriting? He refuses to listen to the books in Storytime? I should have practiced writing with him more. I should have let them play with crayons and markers at a younger age. I shouldn't have watched hours of ER when he was only months old. We should have sold the TV. It's because I had that glass of wine when I was pregnant. It's because I refused to give up lunch meats and diet soda and the chemicals affected his development in the womb.

The articles and press out there don't do anything to put my mind a ease. They simply keep saying these are terrible things to do, and can harm your infant. So how do I know it's not my fault? I don't. I just don't.

Twenty years later, Ron Howard decided to put this movie into a a TV series. Parenthood is on NBC Tuesday nights. At first I was horrified and refused to have anything to do with this show because I thought it would make me unfaithful to the movie. The cast was different, I never liked that actress anyway, and it made me feel old.

But I was too curious, and now I love it. Sure, the series can be predictable and all that, but in between the necessary plot moments are actual parenting choices and decisions and struggles. There are no babies, just preschoolers, but I've gotten to the point where I can really appreciate parents being portrayed as more than just parents. More than mothers and fathers who know best or know everything, but as human beings who sometimes have no idea what the heck they're doing, but do it anyway.

If I said I liked it more than American Idol, would it make me look old?

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I love that show! I just saw the episode where Peter Krause consoles his Asperger afflicted son after the kid loses his tortoise -- brilliant! I love the movie too! And,no whatever it is has nothing to do with what you did...unless there were years of alcohol & drug abuse that I missed.

Unknown said...

I love it, too. Parenting has to be one of the most complicated relationship/24 hour job/passion/journey human beings undergo. I am not a parent. However, I have the honor of being intimately involved in people's families (whether they want me there or not) in my job. I a witness to a large population, year after year. I hear what kids say without their folks' edit. I am told things people would not want me to know. I am shyly asked for advice by folks curious, lost, and at the end of their ropes. I am called Mom by mistake all day long - not because I earned that special title, but because I am close, familiar, and, I hope, trusted. It hits me in the gut every time.
I am constantly in awe of parenthood. I am scared of it, confounded by it, touched by it and jealous of it. I remember watching this movie with you, several times. I walk away from this memory, this movie, and this blog thinking that parenting has to be one of those hugely human journeys, full of the ups and downs and mistakes and triumphs of humanity. You, Kathleen, happen to be quite good at this journey.
Happy Mother's Day!