Saturday, May 15, 2010

Vegetable Garden FAIL

Last year I planted a vegetable garden.

It wasn't much. No, I mean it really wasn't much. I planted a few tomatoes and a few green beans. And at the end of the summer the green beans actually produced! Enough so that we could have two or three fully grown beans every few days, that is. But not enough to give us an actual side dish. And the tomatoes refused to bear fruit until October, when the early frost killed them off before they even turned red.

I was hoping for more this year. In April I planted carrots and twice as many green beans as last year. And once the weather got a little warmer, I transplanted a few tomato seedlings I had started indoors.

So far, the tomatoes are two inches high - the same height they were when I placed them outside two weeks ago. There is no sign that I ever planted anything else in my dirt patch, except maybe the occasional strand of grass.

So two weeks ago, when Nick's Sunday School teacher informed me that they planted peas in dixie cups and handed me four tiny paper cups filled with dirt, I was sure we'd end up with four dixie cups filled with dirt we'd need to throw away come October. Especially when they all got dropped more than a few times getting them into the car.

My dirt patch is still mostly a dirt patch. I water when the dirt gets dry. I yell at the dog when he decides to walk on it. I really don't know what more I can do at this point, other than dig around and check to see if the seeds are still down there.

On the bright side, we have three small green things growing out of dixie cups in the window box over the kitchen sink. They are as tall my my tomato seedlings were two weeks ago. And still are. Yes, we have one dixie cup with dirt in it, but the seed probably fell out in one of the drops from church to car.

To me, this only goes to show how awesomely terrible I am at gardening.

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I don't think it has anything to do with you. I think it's the NH climate & soil.

Anonymous said...

You need to get some miracle-grow soil enhancer at your local gardening shop. Dig up the soil and mix the miracle grow into it. After you plant, put miracle grow plant food in the water when you water--or some kind of fertilizer. It will provide nutrients the soil may be lacking. You know the compost pile was our secret for awesome flowers when we lived in Jersey. love, jean the mom

Debs said...

half way through the post, but just have to say - green tomato chutney is delicious. A friend of mine made some last year as her tomatoes refused to turn red too, and it was scrummy :)