Thursday, May 27, 2010

Yellow Haze

If asked, I think most of us would describe ourselves as removed from nature. We have become masters as setting ourselves apart. We have our homes, thick walls that keep us apart. We are cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and if ever nature tries to breech the barrier we have created, in the form of pests, mold, ladybugs, whathaveyou... well, we nip it in the bud.

But every year we reach this point where we can't ignore the fact that nature comes first. It asserts itself in a way that can't be ignored. Yes, I'm talking about the pollen in the air.

I usually roll my eyes when people talk about pollen. What's the big deal? Stay away from flowers. But yesterday, looking out my back window, I could actually see clouds of yellow dust being blown around by the wind. Clothing I put out to dry came back in coated in a fine dust. The same dust bypassed the screens in the windows and settled on our floors, our furniture, even my bed.

And there's nothing to be done about it. Nature will have it's way, and we need open windows to avoid suffocation. I will simply keep dusting until it ends.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

It's the 21st century dust bowl. Time to migrate west...or at least south? We don't have pollen in the concrete jungle. NYC: 1 where you live: 0