Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm on fire

It is so hot.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I am an absolute sucker for routine. If I don't have every activity written down and planned out, my day falls apart. Seriously, my to do list has "laundry" written on it every single day, because if I don't have it written down I'm apt to forget it's in the washer and it will just end up sitting there, out of sight and getting skunky.

The boys have pretty much stopped taking naps. This can be tough on Andy, who really needs one. I do my best to make sure he gets at least an hour. But the other boys are really old enough not to need them anymore. This requires a little bit of planning and rescheduling on my part, as it leaves us with a chunk of time in the middle of the day which was previously taken. But we can't go anywhere, because Andy needs to sleep.

I can't just send them outside, either. Oh, I'm sure there will be days where I will be able to. Andy can sleep and I can cook dinner early or fold laundry on the deck while they play on the swings. They're old enough that I'll let them do that, as long as they stay where I can see them from the window. But these past few days it's been too hot. During the winter I structure our days so that we're inside and cozy by 4pm. But with the sun so high and the days so hot and humid I'm leaning toward keeping us indoors until then. Unless, of course, we're at the beach or a sprinkler park or something.

Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me. It can't be normal to already have been making summer homework charts for the boys. It can't be normal to already have a fall schedule planned, down to which days we'll be doing gym, piano, karate... And to know which days I'll be buying groceries and which days I'll be cleaning the house, and how I will choreograph my days to maximize completion of all these tasks. I mean, it's not like I can't make changes, or that I don't, but still...

Anyway, these things have been on my mind, of late. The funny thing is, I'm kind of excited about them!

3 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

You're very organised & that is a good thing! With so many little ones, organisation is extremely helpful. I think you deserve a pat on the back for getting it all written down right into fall!

Susan's Losin' said...

Being organized is a great thing to be, but include on your list to laugh, smile, relax and have fun with those delightful boys while you can! Some things are more important than getting it all done everyday!

Debs said...

I'm hopeless at being that organised - I'm a go with the flow kinda girl, but Menard needs to know timings and dates. That makes for some interesting confusion in our house sometimes.
I don't think it's be to be that organised, it sounds great to me, i just wouldn't be able to do it!