Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ladybug Ladybug Fly Away From My Home



A couple of days ago I noticed that, somehow, a large number of ladybugs had convened on the ceiling above Steve's side of the bed. I was a little concerned, but since that night they all seemed to have disappeared, I pushed the thought to the back of my mind and moved on to other things.

And then, yesterday, I took the boys out back to play.

And the outside of our house was covered in ladybugs. On the windows, on the drainpipes, on the siding... just ladybugs everywhere.

Now, Ladybugs are not dangerous - I mean, they aren't like bees or hornets that will sting you. They aren't like mosquitoes that leave itchy red bumps. In fact, I've always like Ladybugs. But I think that's because they usually appear one at a time. In great numbers they are kind of frightening, just because of the number of them. Crawling all over everything. And flying. And landing on your face.

I tried pretending they weren't there, and I sat down under the porch while the boys played, but they kept landing on me and flying into my face, and eventually I just got up and left because of the sheer bother of them. But still, at this point, I figured they were no big deal. I mean, they were OUTSIDE, right?

That afternoon I walked into our bedroom to see about a hundred ladybugs crawling all over the ceiling and the walls and the windows. The thing about Ladybugs is that they find ways to get in. It turned out that both Steve and I had left our windows open just a crack, at the top, the part we couldn't see because it's covered by our shades. And suddenly I realized it would be me asleep on the bed with hundreds of flying bugs swarming all over, and landing on me, and crawling on me, and I freaked.

The thing is, they have - up until now - dispersed by bedtime. I think they are attracted to that side of the house in the afternoon because it gets the best afternoon light. Still, I do not feel good about this. And they are Ladybugs. It's like watching Children Of The Corn and suddenly realizing that small children are SCARY.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But lady bugs are good! I used to buy them for the garden because they ate less desirable insects. Consider how lucky you are to have a ladybug infestation!

Lou said...

I hate them too! We came back from the hospital to find hundreds in our bedroom - not cool. In case you're interested, here's something about the specific variety we are "blessed" with. http://extension.unh.edu/Pubs/HGPubs/MALbug.pdf

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I am NOT sleeping in the room with the bugs, ladies or not! I will not do it! NO, no, no. Please have Gunther & the cats make short work of them before I get there!!!