Saturday, October 13, 2007

No Pressure



Yesterday I tried to go clothes shopping for the boys. Not a HUGE shop, mind you, but just something for Nick to wear to picture day at school, and maybe I could double it up for Thanksgiving, so maybe Nathan could have a matching outfit...

Anyway, I went to the mall where I knew there was a cute little children's clothing store that has sales ALL THE TIME and sells cute clothes of good quality... and it turned out the store has turned into a Halloween Gallery, so instead of kid's clothing in the windows they had sexy outfits so that adults can dress up as a sexy Alice-in-Wonderland, or a sexy flight attendant. Or a sexy doctor. Or a sexy queen - one who forgot to wear the bottom three feet of her skirts, apparently.

Anyway, the directory directed me to a new location, which was apparently where my children's clothing store had relocated to. Except when I got there, it wasn't the same store. Oh, the NAME was the same. And the bags were the same. But... rock music was blasting loudly. The kid's clothing was cute, but not special, and priced very high. Everything was sparkles and flash and loud and funky, and I thought for a moment I had BECOME Alice and fallen down that rabbit hole because, SERIOUSLY? I'm shopping for size 4T clothing in a store blasting attitude? Priced like the GAP? I don't think so.

Of course I ended up buying stuff there anyway because I'm crazy, but I refuse to go back. I was very disturbed and upset - childhood is so short these days, it's only a matter of time before kids launch themselves into technology and the ways of the world... Why would I willingly bring them to a place that insists six year olds are actually little teenagers? Forget it. My favorite children's store is a 40 mile drive to the nearest outlet, but they also have cute clothing and frequent sales. I'm thinking that it might actually be worth it.

No comments: