Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Food For Thought



I hate it when anyone asks me "What's for dinner?" My mother used to ask us what we'd like for dinner and it would drive me crazy. Just make something! I would think. Anything! Why are you asking ME? These days I actually make up the week's menu before I go to the supermarket, but I always find myself sitting there, sifting through the depths of my brain, trying to come up with seven meals for the week. That I can cook. And that my family will eat. Try doing this. It's harder than it looks.

Steve has recently expressed the opinion that we are eating too much hamburger (ie. stop making hamburger helper every third night) so this week I decided to try something new and make lamb chops. This was really courageous of me because, not only have I never cooked lamb, I do not eat it. But it was a moot point as I discovered that A - lamb chops are really tiny B - lamb chops are kind of expensive and C - there were only three lamb chops left in the meat cooler at the store. So instead I got a pork roast. WELL, IT WASN'T HAMBURGER!

The pork roast was good! Once it cooked. But whoever wrote the cooking instructions on the wrapper should be shot. They either lied about the cooking time (25 - 30 min/ lb.) or about the temperature (325) or maybe they got the weight wrong. Because what should have taken 90 minutes to cook ended up taking almost three hours. With only adults this is an excuse to drink more wine and relax more. With small children it is a disaster.

Anyhow, Andrew was the only one who got fed and to bed on time. I have had trouble feeding him lately. I plans to gradually move him over to formula have been thwarted by his decision to now never take a bottle AT ALL! And he now refuses most baby food, simply smiling with lips together at my attempts to make him open his mouth before the mush falls completely off the spoon... which isn't really a spoon, but more like a rubber tipped stick, as nothing actually stays IN there.

But today Andrew's first tooth came in. THAT'S something, huh?

2 comments:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Hooray! A 1st tooth! I'm sure he's about to start tearng into that pork roast & everything else any minute now! All he needed was that tooth!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

PS Maybe you should have your oven calibrated -- if it isn't holding or hitting 'true temperature' anything you put in it will take longer to cook!