Friday, June 06, 2008

Sleep Baby Sleep

Not too long ago I was under the impression that Andrew was sleeping through the night. He would sleep from 7pm until 3am-ish. And then wake up again just before five. But that's good enough for me. I'd climb into the guestroom bed with him at five and get as much sleep as I could before the older boys woke and started running up and down the halls.

Unfortunately, Andy didn't like that plan. He like the morning part just fine, the part where he was nursing in bed with me. But the rest of it, the part where he was alone and I wasn't with him? Yeah, he didn't like that as much.

So he began crying. And screaming. Many, many times a night. Sometimes he begins crying before I can fall back asleep from feeding him the last time. Sometimes he starts crying before I can get back into bed.

The daytime isn't really much better. He sleeps for hours at a time, but not during naptime! Oh, no! He'll fall asleep, but before the older boys can stop their chattering long enough to fall asleep, Andy is wailing in his crib. I try to run with him on the floor, but he cries as soon as I begin, wailing as though I were causing him pain. So working out is sporadic and frustrating. And as soon as it is over Andy goes to sleep on my bed.

Sometimes I skip working out just to nap with him, so that I can get some sleep.

I keep telling myself it's a phase. I hope it is. Because I've never been very good at letting a baby cry.

No comments: