Friday, June 20, 2008

Time in a Bottle

I have this game, the Simms, which I used to play constantly.

In case you are unfamiliar with Simms, it's kind of like this: you get to create a "family" made of of a few people. You are them responsible for each member of your family. You need to make sure each member is housed properly, is fed properly, gets enough sleep, takes showers, uses the bathroom, etc. You also have to make sure the person has a job, so that you can get money to buy food. You have to make sure other needs are met - like staying in shape, improving one's mind, having a hobby, having a social life... And the kicker was, the game kept track of time. So you had to make choices about what to do next to make sure everything got done within a certain amount of time.

I was horrible at the game. I would ignore people who needed to use the restroom because it would take them twenty minutes. I refused to socialize. I would let them oversleep and they would miss work. The house would catch on fire because my people would throw tantrums in the middle of the game because they hated their lives so much. And all I could think was that it wasn't like real life. In real life, there was enough time. It didn't take forever to do things.

Well, I was wrong again. Because these days I run around like a headless chicken doing one thing, another, three at once, and I still don't get everything done.

.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Now you have your own real life Sims family! And it is all exactly the same -- good luck, Fleen!