Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Remember the Time...

Larissa called me today. We spoke about our trip to Disney later this fall, and Larissa told me about her family trip, when her brother, who was very young, was terrified of every ride and character he came upon, making the trip frustrating for all involved.

I have no doubt that my boys will be able to deal with most of the rides, although they might not want to get too close to the gigantic cartoons-come-to-life. I was, however, reminded of this time we went to the circus, when Emily was about 2 years old. And there we were, having a wonderful time, when my father got the crazy idea to get us all cotton candy. He got us each our OWN cotton candy, so there he was, edging through the seats to bring us our treats... and when Emily got a look at the coton candy she took her fingers out of her mouth and started screaming. It was as though the cotton candy were the most terrifying thing she'd ever seen. SHE WOULD NOT STOP. We had to leave. I was upset.

That Emily! I sure do miss her.

2 comments:

LARISSA said...

While I'm putting my brother under the bus, I might as well do a good job... he was also terrified of anything that went "bang." That includes bubble gum. No joke, if somebody was blowing bubbles, he'd start freaking out.

Jamie said...

i love how irrational fears are acceptable when you're really little. When does it stop being funny? I really doubt that we could get away with telling funny stories about how Emily screamed at the sight of cotton candy if the story took place in 2007.