Sunday, June 15, 2008

Imagination

Ever since I wrote about Nicholas's imaginary friend Mario, people have been telling me about their own imaginary friends. Either that, or they remind me of the children from The Shining or The Amityville Horror, because THEY had imaginary friends TOO, and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM!

The most unsettling thing about Nick's imaginary friends, aside from the fact that he talks to them aloud sometimes, is the consistency. Oh, sure, Mario happens to be a two-year-old who drives a car and can write his own name, has a cell phone, etc. But the relationships between the people he dreams up... there is a whole cast of characters here. And they do not change. He remembers them all. He talks about them all.

First of all, there is Mario. The original.

Then, meet Jackie, Mario's little brother.

Then there is Sam, Mario's father, who drives all three of them (Mario, Jackie, and Nick) places on occasion.

Then, there is Mario's Mother, Salty. Please do not ask me about this name, because the first time he said it I collapsed into a huge fit of giggles and had to leave the lunch table.

A little over a week ago, Mario acquired a little sister. Her name is Rhonda. I have no idea where Nick heard this name, but I don't think I have ever actually met anyone named Rhonda. The Beach Boys? Was I singing the Beach Boys?

And finally, today Nicholas mentioned yet another member of this family. Jackie's younger sister (not to be confused with Mario's sister Rhonda). She is new, as of today. Her name is Tuna. Yes, Tuna, as in fish. The daughter of Salty and Sam. Tuna.

Maybe Nicholas will be a novelist.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Wow! That's fabulous! I think Nick is defintely taking after you, Aunt Anne-E & Gran'Pa! I've known of imaginary friends, but never so complicated (& stable) a cast of characters. I hope you are taping him or writing it all down so he can keep them with him even after he gets all the real friends!