Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm Saying Something

Last night I saw Mike Daisey's performance of "How Theatre Failed America" in New York. It was so cool. It was especially cool because, as Meg pointed out, he said my name two or three times. And it wasn't just my name, he actually meant ME! It was a great performance, a wonderful show, and I encourage everyone and anyone to see it if they ever get the chance. Only tonight was his final performance in this run, and he' s off on a tour of "If You See Something Say Something!" He's going to Santa Fe. And then to many other places. But NY people - he'll be back in the fall!

Seeing old friends makes me very nervous for some reason. I get nervous before, and I get nervous afterwards thinking that I will or I just did make a fool of myself and look stupid. I was nervous last night. And that's just dumb because Mike has already seen me make a bigger fool of myself than I ever hope to be again. But I got nervous anyway. And I don't think it's him, or any other friend I happen to get nervous around. I think it's me. I get nervous because I feel like a very different person from the girl I was when I really knew him. I am RESPONSIBLE. I have a CHILD! Heck, I have THREE. And I am BREASTFEEDING! And I'm OLD! I'm not nearly as exciting and interesting as I used to be. I mean, it's really altogether too odd. Plus, I just feel nowhere near as cool as anyone else.

And I have to laugh at myself because I know how silly it is, even as my heart is thumping a million miles an hour in my chest and my face is a billion degrees. Because I am NOT the only one who has grown up, you know? It's a process and a major sode effect of LIFE. And I end up having the BEST TIME. Which I did last night. THE BEST. The silliest and best and a lot of fun. So, besides Mike, who provided the entertainment, and his wife Jean Michelle, I have to thank all who made the night possible, including Meg, Jamie, and Anne-E. Why the heck don't I do this more often?

2 comments:

The Yarn Lady said...

You are a delirious delight! Thanks for coming out to see the show and spending time with us!

Love!
JM

Jamie said...

Come back again soon! Stay longer than a weekend!