Wednesday, April 21, 2010

40 days and 40 nights: A Challenge

I have another blog. There' s a link to it in the list on the right. It's a fairly dull but heartfelt record of my efforts to become more ecologically responsible. This post is a direct cut and paste of today's post there. I welcome feedback and ideas and tips, both on writing and on my way to playing nice with Mother Nature.



No, this isn't about the flood.

This is about the Earth. The planet you live on. The planet we share. The planet we are changing every day by small and large actions of irresponsible neglect or disregard.

I first heard about Earth Day when I was in the seventh grade. I had never heard of it before, and the whole idea seemed very strange and "out there."

And now I'm an adult. And I know a lot more. And I am responsible for a lot more. And maybe because I have three small children, I have more of an eye on the future of this planet.

Earth Day is neat. I use the opportunity to try and teach my kids a little something about our effect on our environment. I usually make a trip to the grocery store so I can get a free grocery bag (they give them out on this one day each year.) And all over, a handful of responsible people do things they find good for the earth. They walk or bike to work. They turn off the lights and the TV. They take steps.

And then the next day, they wash their hands of it, and feel good about themselves. They pat themselves on the back for having done something, and go back to driving and keeping all appliances on.

My point is, if you can do something for one day, you can do it for two. If you can do it for two days, you can do it for a week. A month. A year. Yes, it might actually take effort. Yes, it might be inconvenient.

My challenge, to anyone who stumbles across it, is this: Pick one thing. One small, entirely doable thing that will help the planet. Do it for forty days. Don't drive for forty days. Keep your TV off for 40 days. Try not to use plastic bags for 40 days.Run your dishwasher only when full - just try it for a little over a month. It just might become a habit and you'll stick with it for the rest of your life. Or you might stumble back into your old ways. But 40 days is 40 times better than one.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

40 days- I will not let myself buy something from the grocery store or drug store w/ out my own bag. no plastic.

Debs said...

That sounds like a good challenge. I'll have a think. I've been telling myself i needed to locate my reusable bags (which had got stashed some place after we moved house). I found them yesterday and put them in my car, so I think I may go for Jamie's idea too, to get myself back into using them.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

I walk to or from work on many days & use public transport when I don't. But living in NY makes public transport easy, so I get no credit for that. But I do not own a dishwasher or a microwave -- that must count for something!

Jean said...

Supercloths!!!! Love them. They make your windows and mirrors shine WITHOUT any cleaning chemicals. Just wet them, squeeze out and everything shines. If you have stainless steel appliances, this is the answer to your prayers with fingerprints. They cost about $20 for 3, but they last up to 6 months or longer so think what you save on cleaning junk. You can get them from QVC or just google Supercloths (from Italy).

Debs said...

I should have a big FAIL mark by my name. the bags are in the car,but somehow they're not always making it out the car to the shop.
BUT, I am trying to start recycling again (which got trickier cos we moved and there are no facilities to do it here)

Susan's Losin' said...

I had never heard of "super cloths" so thanks for that idea. Now if there was something I could order from QVC that would remind me to take the shopping bags from my car into the store I would order a year's supply of that, too. Kathleen, thanks for this important post!