Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sweet Dreams and Delusions

Steve occasionally goes away on overnight business trips.

When he plans on being gone, I begin making plans. I think about all the things I will do with my time once he is not there. I plan on cleaning out closets, washing windows, writing my novel finishing my quilt. As though his being here were actually stopping me from doing those things in the first place. As though once he left, time stopped in our household and I could complete thirty seven projects while living my daily life.

The result is that I do not sleep. Where I am usually in bed by ten, when he's gone I keep myself busy until past eleven. And then I don't sleep as well, because he's not there, and when the zombies come I'll be the only adult around.

And when he comes home, I think about all that I did not accomplish. But I fall back into our routine, glad to slow down at the end of the day.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

you're writing a novel?! amazing!

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

"...there's a hole in the bed where we slept, now it's growing cold." The bed seems huge when the other side is empty, though usually there hardly seems enough room. Funny how perspective changes perception.