Thursday, April 08, 2010

The New Deal

The other day I went back to look at the year 2006. It's quite easy, with this blog, to go back and figure out just what it was we were doing a year ago, two years ago.... four years ago now, on this very day.

I used to be a better writer. Or if not better, my posts back then were longer, had more content. I had more to say, and I had more passion to say it with.

Or at least more time.

I'm very busy now. I'm so busy that sometimes it takes me days to figure out that I'm worried about something, such as my five-year-old never learning to read, or my cat getting sick and dying. And my kids are getting older now, and their battles are getting more private. It's one thing to write about getting your toddler to stay in his own bed. It's another completely to spout off about a four year old wetting the bed or a five year old's social skills. At this point all of the boys become embarrassed and ashamed, and I want to respect their privacy.

So the other night, when I was trying to figure out what to write about that would be engaging, fun, cute, or at least mildly entertaining, and I clicked back through time and read about getting babies to sleep and saw the cute photos of toddlers, my heart began to ache. Not only at the loss - the fact that my kids are now hulking giants who like to play fighter games and frequently use the word "poophead." But because I used to be able to write about things.

So please, consider this post a kind of disclaimer. And I shall try to make things, if not more interesting, at least more real.

1 comment:

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

No, no, no! You have it all wrong! You're posts are always entertaining, interesting & emotive. they are aslo very real -- real life for a woman with 3 small, adorable, squabbling, loving, developing children, 3 animals and a husband and house to care for. You just keep it up!