Sunday, April 11, 2010

Nate Vs. The Squid

During one of our trips to Target, Nate fell in love with a squid.

It's a toy, so please don't panic. It's blue and makes noises and it different from many of the other toys out there. And Nate LOVED it. Every time we went back to Target, he asked to visit the squid.

I have sworn off buying toys for the kids for no reason. We have so much already, I just can't justify it. I give the boys an allowance, and they are supposed to buy the things they want with that money. It's just that they are very young, and Nate only gets a dollar a week, which would mean he'd have to save for about thirty weeks before he could afford the thing. So what could I do?

Well, I used it as a bribe.

I've been trying to get Nate out of pull-ups at night forever. At least two years. I know that pushing him will do no good, he'll get there when he's ready, blah blah blah... but even with pull ups, when he goes at night it leaks through and get his sheets all wet. Not often, but enough to be a bother. And he IS dry most mornings... So I thought a little extra motivation wouldn't hurt.

I bought the squid. And I told Nathan he could have it WHEN he went five days in a row without wetting at night. I know he can do it. So far he's gotten as far as four nights before peeing at night. And every morning he asks about it and I tell him when the deadline is - three more nights, two more nights...

We're back to the start, and I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. I should have set a lower goal, or waited until it happened without telling him. What was I thinking? All I know is that I really really want him to get this prize.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I think it's smart! It'll keep him focused on the prize. And then, before you know it, your laundry load will be lighter than now.

Lindax0x0x0x0x said...

Go, Nato, go! You can do it! Is it Squidward Fancyson or Squilliam Tentacles or some other squid? Could it be Sid the Squid? What does Nato call it?