Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I feel downright evil today. Like a cross between Joan Crawford and that dragon from the Lord of the Rings movie. And it's my own fault.

First off, my left leg would be in less pain if I just cut it off. I like to run on the treadmill every day. Lately it's been difficult to get Nick to sleep long enough for me to run for a full half hour. So instead of just accepting this and cutting back on my time, I stopped stretching beforehand.

I KNOW! Stupid, Stupid me. I expect no sympathy for the pain I am currently experiencing in my knee and foot.

But the REAL issue, the REAL reason I feel like every nerve in my body is exposed and I might explode any second... is that last night I did not sleep in my own bed.

It wasn't Steve. I should say right away that, although Steve and I have argued and then gone to bed, the arguments are never bad enough to banish one of us to the guest room. Or else neither one wants to give up the good mattress. The issue, of course, was Nick. Nicholas bgan crying at 11pm last night and WOULD NOT STOP unless he was resting his head on a part of my body, even if doing this meant that he had to bend his neck at a 90 degree angle from the rest of his body. After 45 minutes of his crying and my clutching my chest with the fear that he was going to wake his brother, I finally went in and crawled into bed with him, figuring there had to be something wrong.

There MIGHT have been something wrong.

But I am still never doing that again. For the following reasons:
- Nick keeps more small items in his bed than I have in the diaper bag, including small cars, books, sipcups, and small round bouncy balls.
- Nick does not understand the concept of giving me my own space, and sleeps with his head pressing against my neck AT ALL TIMES.
- Nick breathes in my face. Hot, I-have-a-cold breaths.
- Nick rolls over onto my hair, which hurts
- Nick wakes up at 4am and tries to play with me. When I try to go back to sleep, he helpfully points out every single mole on my arms, chest, and face. He pokes each one and says "mole?" It turns out I have a lot of moles.
- When I finally get back to sleep, Nick manages to WALK THROUGH THE WALL (or climb over the baby gate but honestly I'm hoping it was walking through the wall which would be easier to process mentally) and at 6am I wake up to the sound of his little feet runnin up and down the hallway.

I will be napping instead of working out today. I hope. As it is I have had to have a coffee just to deal with getting dressed and not packing Nick up into a box and mailing him to an orphanage when he started making those fake-cry-whiney noises this morning. I will need another cup of coffee to deal with taking the boys to the grocery store. I hope the caffeine lets me nap.

If I can't nap, the next blog post will be done from some faraway South American resort where children are NOT allowed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay. Just box him up & send him to me -- I'll take him for a while!!! Then you can sleep & run!