Saturday, April 01, 2006


Well, we've sent Nicholas packing on the last big truck that came driving through our town... just kidding. APRIL FOOL'S!

Personally, I am not a big fan of April Fool's day. Possibly because I'm not good at tricking people. It either doesn't work, or it does and I feel guilty. And when people play tricks on me I get hurt. Part of me feels that, by even recognizing this day, I will have more tricks played on me than ever. The same God owns April Fool's and Massachusettes Roads, and the one time I drove through Massachusettes and made fun of the names of the towns (DeadHAM, NeedHAM) I ended up getting horribly turned around and drove the loop from 95 North to 93 South about 3 times before I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Today was Steve's morning to get up with the kids. Miraculously, Nathan slept through the night until 4am, when he woke up soaked because his diaper leaked. He was also very offended that I decided to change him instead of feed him right away, but hey - I didn't want pee all over me. His screaming woke up everyone - Nick, Steve... various pets. After changing him I took him back into our room to sleep in his bassinet, which I still have in there. I didn't feel like changing the sheets on his crib, and thought Nick would go to sleep again if we left him alone. He did.
In fact, both boys slept very well.
Steve is always asking the boys to sleep until 6:30 on the day he gets up with them. Well, this morning Nick woke quielty and was playing by himself. I woke up at 6:20 to his shaking thebaby gate calling out "AGA! Ay AH ou?" (Gunther, where are you.) "Ama! Ay AH ou!" (Mom, where are you?) "Dada? Dada?" (Dad? Are you awake yet? Because I'm hungry.) After fifteen minutes of listening to Nick both over the monitor and down the hallway, squeezed in between Nate, who I had been feeding in bed and who was starting to fuss, and Steve, who was in the dead center of the bed, snoring and breathing on my neck, I finally caved. I got up and put on my slippers, upset that I had to get up when IT WAS NOT MY DAY!

Steve woke up while I was angrily putting on my sweatshirt, and gave me a choice between going back to bed or sleeping in tomorrow. Since I was already up (which happens after twenty minutes of pretending I don't have kids while reality is shouting in my ear) I chose to just get up. Steve expressed bewilderment that I was angry at him for sleeping! How could I be upset? He just doesn't get it. I'm not angry at him for sleeping... not really. I'm angry at him for BEING ABLE TO SLEEP THROUGH IT! Nate coughs and I wake up, tense, waiting to see if I need to go in, but Steve can somehow sleep through a circus over the baby Monitor. The buzzing made by said Monitor, though... THAT is a noise he complains about every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly as you do about April Fools Day, practical jokes, & guilt. Somehow through your blog today, I kept picturing a naked Nick standing at the baby gate calling out plaintively, "Ama! Ay AH ou!"