Saturday, April 22, 2006


Nicholas is changing every day. He is a constant mimic, so we have to be very careful about what we say or do. Once I was tickling Nate with my foot, and he walked up and practically stepped on his brother. When I shouted he cried, of course. But because he was confused - wasn't I just doing that very same thing?

The other day he was out on the porch with Steve. Steve was talking on his cell phone. Nick was sitting in his little chair, holding a broken remote control to his ear and having an imaginary conversation.

Yesterday he took a little box full of outdated insurance cards and hotel keys into a store with me. As I was paying I caugt him leaning out of the stroller, "swiping" one of the cards against the wall, and then punching an imaginary keyboard with his index fingers.

I can't explain how I feel when I see him do these things. It's an urge to laugh and cry at the same time. I know he doesn't really know what he's doing, and that makes it funny and cute. But part of me also knows he's going to be doing these things for real someday all too soon. Even though I'm glad about that, it also fills my heart with sadness. Does he really HAVE to grow up? Can't he just sit on my lap and stay small for a few extra years? I mean... once he's out of diapers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you're in the mommy world & no matter how old they get, you will always feel exactly the same. I'm not even a mommy & I still want you all to sit on my lap from time to time.